Monday, March 23, 2009

Idioms

Idioms…

1- Be As Blind A Bat

*Example: A: Can you read the first paragraph on page 115 for me?
B: Sorry, I forgot to bring my glasses. I'm as blind as a bat without them.



2- Backfire

*Example:
The new stricter school policy may backfire and do more harm to the students than good..


3-- Bark Up The Wrong Tree
*Example:
Don't blame me. I have nothing to do with it. You are barking up the wrong tree.


4- Beat Around The Bush:
*Example:
Don't beat around the bush! Tell me what exactly you want.


5-Beat it
*Example:
I guess we should beat it before she comes back.


6- Bend over backwards

*Example:
The manager bent over backwards to help new employees.

7- Bookworm
*Example:
My daughter was a real bookworm when she was a child.
I found the joys of reading when I read that book. I became a bookworm after that.

8- The Bottom Line
*Example:."
I've heard enough of your excuses. What's the bottom line?


9- Bite off more than one can chew
*Example:
She has bitten off more than she can chew again. She has agreed to finish 3 very difficult projects by the end of this year.


10- Be broke.
*Example:
"Do you want to go to the movies tonight?" "I can't go. I'm broke.
tomorrow is payday."

No comments:

Post a Comment